Here is what we are doing the week in American History:
Monday: Study guides are due today. We will use devices today on kahoot.it to study for the Ch. 9 test.
Tuesday: Ch. 9 test today. After test students will have the opportunity to free read or pre-read chapter 10 from their textbooks
Wednesday: Introduce Ch. 10 today. What is an empire? We will look at the events that led us to a conflict with Spain in this chapter.
Thursday: On Nearpod today and tomorrow. We will look at Hawaii and Cuba and why the U.S. was led in to imperialism.
Friday: Beginnings of the Spanish-American War. What led to war and what really fueled American involvement.
Missouri DESE Course Level Expectations for this unit:
Chapter 10: America Claims an Empire
To understand how individuals and events moved the United States into the role of a world power and to recognize the effects of economic policies on U.S. diplomacy.
SECTION 1 Imperialism and America
- Explain the economic and cultural factors that fueled the growth of American imperialism.
- Describe how the United States acquired Alaska.
- Summarize how the United States took over the Hawaiian Islands.
SECTION 2 The Spanish-American War
- Contrast American opinions regarding the Cuban revolt against Spain.
- Identify events that escalated the conflict between the United States and Spain.
- Trace the course of the Spanish-American War and its results.
SECTION 3 Acquiring New Lands
- Describe U.S. involvement in Puerto Rico and in Cuba.
- Identify causes and effects of the Philippine-American War.
- Explain the purpose of the Open Door Policy in China.
- Summarize the views regarding U.S. imperialism.
SECTION 4 America as a World Power
- Explain how Theodore Roosevelt's foreign policy promoted American power around the world.
- Describe how Woodrow Wilson's missionary diplomacy ensured U.S. dominance in Latin America.